Sunday, May 24, 2009

Specky Magee By Felice Arena and Gary Lyon



"The life and times of an aspiring footy champion"... which is written on the front cover of the book, pulled me into the world of Specky Magee. It's not a recent book, published in 2002, but when I saw it on the bookshelf 5 years ago I decided to give it a try. Another reason of how it convinced me to buy it was because I can relate to Specky, meaning that I'm the same age as him, I play in a football club just like him, and I'm going through the same life challenges that he is also going through.

Specky Magee is about a passionate 12 year old boy who is nicknamed Specky, he plays for a team called Booyong High Lions. Throughout the story he is faced with alot of challenges and at the end he confronts his step dad to answer a dreadful question to both Specky and his father, "Am I adopted?"


Tere are many reasons of why I like "Specky Magee" but mainly it's at the start of the book it features a page on the real "Specky Magee" and it explains his life and what things he has won such as awards and medals. The next few pages contain biography's of the author and illustrator. In the bottom right of the page there's a picture of a boy marking a ball, and if you place your thumb on the bottom right corner and flick it through all the pages, it will start moving into a sequence of a boy jumping up to mark a ball.

The things I dislike about the book is that it is a bit short and that its takes a while to get into the story.
The book contains 180 pages.

Overall Specky Magee is a really addictive book for ages 11 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment